Amsterdam Central Station is the largest railway station in Amsterdam. On this website, you will find everything you need on travel times, on buses and trams, tips on bike rentals, and more.
Amsterdam Train Station
Dutch: Amsterdam Centraal
Contact: Stationsplein, 1012 AB Amsterdam, The Netherlands, +31 30 2357822
- Amsterdam Centraal serves as a major international and domestic transportation hub.
- It connects to various modes of public transport, including trains, metro, trams, buses, and ferries.
- Facilities at the station include restrooms, luggage lockers, shops, cafés, and more.
- Biking is a popular means of transportation in Amsterdam, with bike rental services available near the station.
- Travel from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol Airport by train takes approximately 15-20 minutes.
Amsterdam Centraal Railway, often simply referred to as Amsterdam Centraal, is the largest railway station in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It’s a major international railway hub and is used by 162,000 passengers a day, making it the second-busiest railway station in the country after Utrecht Centraal.
Amsterdam Centraal is the starting point of Amsterdam’s city public transit system run by GVB, the city’s public transport company. It’s the hub of the city’s metro, tram lines, and bus networks, and is also a terminal for several ferry services.
Additionally, it’s a key node in the country’s intercity rail network, offering direct connections to many of the Netherlands’ largest cities, such as Utrecht, The Hague, and Rotterdam.
Ferry Amsterdam centraal to Noord
NDSM ferry that takes about 15 minutes to get to Amsterdam Noord in no cost
Facilities and Amenities at Centraal Station Amsterdam
- Ticket Offices For purchasing and collecting train tickets, including international train tickets.
- Tourist Information Center: Offering maps, guides, and information on Amsterdam’s attractions and activities.
- Wi-Fi Access: Free internet access for passengers within the station.
- Restaurants, Cafés and Shops: A variety of dining options ranging from quick snacks to sit-down meals.
- Luggage Storage: Lockers and a left luggage office for temporary storage of bags and personal items.
- Bicycle Parking: Extensive facilities for parking bicycles, including rental services.
- Toilets and Baby Changing Facilities, ATMs and Currency Exchange, facilities for travelers with reduced mobility, including elevators, ramps, and dedicated assistance services.
Public transport and taxis at the Central Station
- The station offers domestic train Services throughout the Netherlands, operated by NS, including to destinations like Rotterdam, Utrecht, and The Hague. It also hosts international high-speed train services like Eurostar to Paris, Brussels, London, and Intercity trains to Germany and Switzerland.
- Metro Services like metro lines 51, 53, and 54, operated by GVB serve the station, connecting it with various parts of Amsterdam city and the surrounding region.
- Tram and Bus Services
- Ferry Services: Free ferries to Amsterdam Noord depart from the back of the station, providing a quick and scenic way to cross the IJ.
- Bike Rentals are available near Amsterdam Centraal. Biking is a popular way to get around the city.
- Taxis and Car Rentals: Taxis and car rental services are available at the station. However, driving in Amsterdam can be challenging due to the city’s narrow streets, heavy bike traffic, and expensive parking.
Amsterdam Station Guides
From exploring station facilities and services, understanding parking options, and getting a grasp on terminals and train tickets, to a handy city guide – we’ve got you covered.
Amsterdam Trains (from-to)
Travel from Amsterdam to cities near and far with intercity, direct trains, or international trains. With info on arrival times and departure times on trains to Paris, London, Brussels, The Hague, and more.
Learn how to get from the airport transfer to the Amsterdam CS station, around the city, and back to Schiphol. From Amsterdam metro, bus stations, taxis, ferries, trams, to car and bike rentals.
Buy a Ticket: You can purchase a single-use chipkaart from the yellow ticket machines or ticket counters at Amsterdam Centraal Station. You can also use an OV-chipkaart, a reusable smart card, to pay for the train.
Find the Correct Platform: Check the digital departure boards for the next train to Schiphol Airport. These boards ( (located at the station hall) will show the time of departure and the platform number.
Board the Train: The journey from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol Airport takes approximately 15-20 minutes. Trains usually run every 10-15 minutes, so you won’t have to wait long.
Arrive at Schiphol Airport: Schiphol has its own railway station, Schiphol Airport station, located directly beneath the airport. From the train station, you can take the escalators or lifts up to the airport’s arrivals and departures halls.
Train to Amsterdam Centraal Station: The most common and quickest way to get from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam city center is by taking a train to Amsterdam Centraal Station. The trains are operated by Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS), the Dutch national railway company.
Buy a Ticket: A one-way ticket costs approximately €5.50. You can buy them from the yellow ticket machines or ticket counters at Schiphol Airport
Board the Train: The train station is located directly underneath the airport. Just follow the signs for “trains”. The train journey from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Centraal takes approximately 15-20 minutes.
Arrive at Amsterdam Centraal Station: Once you arrive at Amsterdam Centraal Station, you are essentially in the city center. From there, you can easily walk, take a tram, taxi, or bike to your final destination within the city.
Alternatively, Take a Taxi or Shuttle: If you prefer not to take the train, you can also take a taxi or airport shuttle from Schiphol to the city center.
Most frequently asked questions about Amsterdam Centraal Station.
How long is the train from Amsterdam Centraal to the Airport?
The train journey from Amsterdam Centraal Station to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport usually takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the specific train service.
How much is the ticket from Amsterdam Central to Airport?
A one-way ticket for a train journey from Amsterdam Central Station to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport costs approximately €5.50.
How far is Amsterdam-Centraal from airport?
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is approximately 19 kilometers (about 12 miles) southwest of Amsterdam Centraal Railway. The journey takes around 15 to 20 minutes by train, which is the most convenient and quickest method of transportation between the airport and the city center.
The trains are frequent, usually every 10-15 minutes, and run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, making it a reliable mode of transport. The train station at Schiphol is located directly beneath the airport, and you can buy tickets from the ticket machines or counters located in the arrivals plaza.